Happy Healthy & Zen 2017!
I hope this message finds you well and enjoying the beginning of 2017. Before we dive into 2017, let’s take a moment to savor the good moments of 2016. The picture above was one of my happy moments from last year. I was in a hot air balloon in Paris with my daughter and my husband this past November. It was a short ride but it was fun. The three of us felt happy and alive.
Think of one of your favorite or happy moments from 2016. Where were you? How did you feel? Take a moment to enjoy the opportunity to connect to that particular moment in your life.
As we transition to 2017 with new expectations, let us continue to:
- Savor the good moments. Remember the relevance of enjoying the simple moments in life. Do not let them pass by and be lost. Learn to truly savor them and make them last. The first step is to slow down and recognize that you are having a great moment!
- Learn from the challenges. Each year brings a new set of unexpected challenges. Some years’ challenges are bigger than others. In my opinion the strategy is to continue to gather inner resources to cope with those intense moments in the healthiest possible way.
- Ask for help and support. In those moments when life feels intense, reach out to your support system. You don’t have to go through challenging times by yourself. Look around for that one person with whom you can have an uplifting conversation.
- Be less reactive. When someone says something that makes you feel angry or upset, take a brief pause. Take a full inhale through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth as if you were blowing out a candle. Let the emotion settle before reacting. Try to understand the other person’s point of view. You can still express yourself but will less reactivity and more kindness.
- Be more mindful. Mindfulness means bringing awareness to the present moment, inside and outside of ourselves. Ideally, observing the situation without judging it. Next time you walk by a park, bring attention to your senses. Listen to the birds singing in the background, observe the colors of the plants and the light in the sky. Notice any smells. Feel your feet touching the ground. Allow for your body to release tension as you move forward.
Make 2017 an extraordinary year. Don’t settle for good… go for better!
If your intention for this year is to upgrade your diet, your exercise routine or better manage your stress levels, please make an effort to make space in your daily life to do so.
Even three minutes per day, will make a difference in the long run.
Wishing you a wonderful and fun year ahead!